The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work Study is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of post-secondary education.

Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are awarded funds as part of their financial aid package that may be earned through part time employment in FWS approved positions either on or off campus. The program provides students with an opportunity for employment arranged around class schedules. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (1.5 Units per semester) to be eligible for this program.

How do I apply for FWS?

FWS eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need. To be considered for a FWS award, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and indicate that you are interested in being considered for work-study. Since work-study funds are limited, you should file the FAFSA as early as possible. If you are not awarded FWS as part of your initial award package, you can reach out to the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify and funding is available.

If I receive a work-study award, am I guaranteed employment?

No, it is your responsibility to find and apply for available positions. The Office of Human resources handles all student employment on campus. Please visit the Student Employment website at for job postings and additional information.

How many hours can I work?

During the semester 15 hours per week. During breaks up to 35 hours per week. You and your supervisor will determine your hourly schedule.

Can FWS be deducted from the tuition bill?

No, FWS is earned as you work. It is paid to you in the form of a paycheck, not deducted from your bill. You will also be required to sign up for direct deposit so payments go directly into your bank account.

What is the pay rate for Work-Study positions?

On-campus positions pay the current minimum wage, with an opportunity for increases. Off-campus positions may pay more.

Can I still work on campus if I am not awarded FWS?

Yes, students can still apply for open positions on campus even if they are not awarded FWS funds. Visit the Office of Human resources website for available openings:

Should I notify the Office of Student Financial Aid if I decide to decline my FWS award?

Yes! If you are awarded work-study and you decide not to participate in the program, please decline your awards in PAWS so that the funding can be given to someone who wishes to participate.

Are FWS wages considered taxable income?

Yes, FWS wages are taxable income. You will receive W-2 forms from TCNJ for your work-study earnings. You should consult your tax preparer for tax filing advice.


Office of Financial Aid
Green Hall, Room 101
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628
Tel. 609.771.2211
Fax. 609.637.5154

Office Hours: 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
Monday through Friday

Staff Directory | Online Support