The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     

Federal Income Tax Form Tips

Federal Income Tax Form Tips

If you are asked to provide a federal income tax form, please note the following:

Federal Income Tax Forms are considered to be “complete” only if they have all required signatures, W-2 forms, and schedules.

Retain a copy of all tax documents for your records.

If you are a dependent student, you may be asked to provide a signed copy of your federal income tax form (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and a signed copy of your parent’s federal income tax form. If we ask you for parental tax forms and your parents filed separately, both parent’s forms and supporting documents are required. Note that “parent” can refer to a step parent; review the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA filing instructions.

If you are an independent student and are asked to provide a federal income tax form, you must submit a copy of your federal return, signed by you and your spouse, as applicable. If you are married and you and your spouse filed taxes separately, a copy of your spouse’s federal tax form would also be required.

If you did not file and will not file a federal tax return, indicate this in writing on your Verification Worksheet.

If you did not keep a copy of your federal tax form and you filed the 1040EZ, you may request a copy by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676 to obtain Form 1722, which can be used as a substitute.

Be careful when submitting an electronic tax form. Only the Federal Form 1040 PC (with original signatures) is acceptable. Federal Form 8453 is not acceptable unless attached to a Federal Form 1040 PC.

Additionally, families may submit a “Telefile Tax Record” for the applicable calendar year. This form, however, must be signed and include the 6-digit Confirmation Number of the filer.

Families who filed joint federal income tax forms who were later separated are required to submit Federal W2s and 1099s for all income sources. Families who filed separate tax returns will be required to submit information for both individuals.