Please note the following basic requirements. You must meet these guidelines to be eligible for any type of need-based or federal financial aid. TCNJ scholarships may also require that you meet these criteria.
Different types of aid have specific eligibility requirements, including the minimum number of hours you must be enrolled.
- You must be admitted to or enrolled in a degree program (“matriculated”) at TCNJ, or you must be admitted to or enrolled in an approved certification program. (Please note that some certificate programs may not have been approved for aid eligibility.)
- You must be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen. Eligible non-citizens may be required to present their Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) I-551 or I-94 forms in person to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Students on F1, J1, and J2 visas are NOT eligible for federal financial assistance or financial aid from TCNJ.
- You must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree. Refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility available through the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- You must not be in default on a loan or owe a refund on a federal grant at any institution.
- If required, you must be registered with Selective Service.
- You must provide all requested documentation.
- U.S. citizens must ensure that their social security card carries a current and accurate legal name and social security number. Applicants who have changed their legal name (due to marriage or other reason) should pay special attention to this requirement.
- You must successfully complete all application review requirements.
- Less than half-time enrollment status will limit the types of aid for which you may be eligible.
Semester Enrollment Requirements for Undergraduate Students:
- Full-time status – 3 units or more
- Three-quarter-time status – 2.25 to 2.99 units
- Half-time status – 1.5 to 2.24 units
- Less than half-time status – 1.49 units or less
Semester Enrollment Requirements for Graduates:
- Full-time status = 9 or more credit hours
- Half-time status = 5 credit hours
Note: The above enrollment requirements pertain to individual Summer Session Enrollment as well.